Life, to me is a social experiment.

Bending peoples will to benefit my twisted desires, seeing if people act how I expect them to act or watching people go about their daily business the way that they do, it never ceases to amuse me.

People tend to act funnily if they know they are being watched, so if you are like me and like to watch people live their life you have to be sneaky or to not let people know you are watching them exist. The conversations you overhear and the subtle glimpses of people’s lives you get are quite extraordinary. People want to come across as reasonably normal all the time but when you’ve seen what I’ve seen and heard what I’ve heard you know that even the most normal seeming person is indeed a little bit messed up in the ol’ brainbox.

I can honestly say that I don’t like people, and by that I mean I don’t like being in groups of people I don’t mean I don’t like people, if you follow? Do you follow? Then lets continue, in groups of people, when you sit back and watch people you tend to be quiet and get easily left out of conversations and social interactions, this is fine with me but if you want to start observing people BUT like the warmth of human interaction then this is a factor you may want to keep in mind. Unless you’re better than I am at the whole watching people thing, then you can multi-task, but that doesn’t really work for me that well… I’m too busy listening to people and watching body language, not that I’m a body language expert but I know enough to know the basics, i.e. when people are being closed off, or far too open.

Gauging the validity of what people are saying, that is the true dilemma faced by any “Social Scientist” (which is what I’ve dubbed myself.) People lie, A LOT. Don’t take things people say at face value, unless you trust them not to be liars, people who know what you are doing will spin you a yarn on purpose, so don’t seem to over-eager to hear what they have to say when they say it. But when they do say it pay close attention to the way they sit and the little things they do, most people have “tells” that give them away. Those are always fun to find.

In closing, when you have nothing better to do, try and find something out about someone without them telling you, ask probing questions, ask random questions, but not about a subject, about things in general, see how they react and remember, its all in the name of science…

2 comments:

  1. interesting wee blog I also don't like people not just groups of people but people in general. I'm a professional recluse. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or are you just a vicarious voyeur Aaron?
    You write well and from interesting social angles.
    Focus all that and it would get very interesting...

    ReplyDelete