My Challenge From Crude Pixel

I was set a challenge by Crude Pixel to review a game of their choosing, the game they chose was The Wrath of The God by Sinistrade. For those who don't know, Crude Pixel is an indie games and culture site. So if you haven't heard of the game, don't worry too much. Enclosed is the review I will very probably end up submitting to Mik to cement my place on CrudePixel.com, enjoy.

The Wrath of the God by Sinistrade is without a doubt an interesting and glorious game. The premise is a simple one, dodge the angry God’ balls of luminescence and survive for as long as you can. This may sound an easy task but trust me, it gets pretty tricky, pretty quickly.

The artistic style of the game gripped me straight off, it is refreshingly different and simplistic. The minimal colour scheme of the game, mostly blues and blacks with the exception of the balls of light, makes the game stand out for me. The contrast of the lights and the background colour scheme make me think “.k. those lights are pretty but I sure wouldn't like one landing on my head”and just after I think that, BOOM! big great ball of light crushes me. Not good at all. Having the God’ eyes stare down at you as you dodge his balls of pain made me laugh for a minute before i was promptly blown up by said balls.

Not only are you bombarded with the balls of light but smaller ones pass across the God’ eyes and explode in the background, the first time i saw this happen i thought to myself “ow, I’ glad I wasn’t on that ridge.”but after a couple more attempts at getting a decent score I could fully appreciate the beauty that those balls of light created. Even when you do get hit by one of these lights, and trust me, you will, you still think to yourself, “his game is so pretty... even when I am splattered everywhere”

The God’ eyes also proved as a distraction for me the first couple of plays of the game for me, watching the eyes watch me was something i couldn't help but do, which also lead me get crushed by the balls. I was staring into those big beauty’ when POW! light ball lands right on my head and again... My little man is splattered all the ways you can think of and then some more

Not only does the games difficulty slope nicely, with the projectiles speeding up, following you and coming more frequently but sometimes the balls of light will explode in the air and split into three and then follow you, making for quite a tricky escape from them.

On the Gamejolt.com page for The Wrath of the God, Sinistrade says that this game took him about five hours to come up with. Even if this is the case, trust me it will take you a lot longer than that to get good at it, in the number of times I have played it, my score has been pitifully low compared to some others i have seen and as soon as i finish this review of it I'm jumping right back on it. It is very rare for any game to have that effect on me, the last game that i literally couldn’t stop playing, even after i had completed it, was Don’ Look Back by Terry Cavanagh which is the story of the Death of Eurydice in a superbly presented package.

Like every game, The Wrath of the God does have it’ flaws but they are so few and far between it makes them barely worth this minimal mention I am giving them, but its only fair for you, the readers, to understand that no game is perfect, but this comes very close indeed, i loved it and i think you will to. It’ simplistic style and graphics make this game a keeper.

To Summarise, The Wrath of the God is beautiful and plays like a dream. The controls are easy to get to grips with. Use the arrow keys to move left, right and jump the low flying balls of light. Don’ let your guard down or you will face the Wrath of the God.

1 comment:

  1. Well done man :P

    I like ze review.

    Game downloading now. :P

    ReplyDelete