Much Ado About Not Doing Much

Over the years there have been lots of people tell me that I’m no good, not good at anything and should basically just give up.


Recently however, I have started doing more and more things that I used to do that I loved to do, I have started writing again “properly”, started drawing more than doodles on my wall or on my arms, and every now and again legs; and much to my surprise, I’ve been really enjoying it again.

Those people telling me that I was no good and should just give up wont get to see my newer “work” as I have, either A) cut them out of my life or B) stopped showing them my “work.”

That’s why I enjoy blogging, it puts my work out there for a wider audience than the people more inclined to blam it into the ground or the people who will like it just because I wrote it, it lets people I don’t know read it and see it. That’s one of the main reasons I’m putting a book together, so I can say “I’ve got this at least, what have you got?” to the people who hated everything I done. I can look at it, the book, filled with all my own work, maybe even some sketches thrown in there for good measure, and to pad out the page count, and think to myself, this is what I wanted to do and I done it off my own back”

Sixonesix tees came from that school of thought, knowing what I want to do and putting it into a corporeal form, giving it weight, the same weight that I felt squarely on my shoulders and that weighed heavy on my heart when all I heard was “Is that the best you can do?”

1 comment:

  1. The DIY ethic is the recourse of all true creatives. It gave succour to the real punk movement, the initial internet MYSPACE revolution, i.e. the whole notion that if they can do it, I can do it.
    It is truly the power of the people and empowerment of the individual.
    You rightly sound angry with those in the past who didn't believe in you. Don't get mad, you are well on the way to getting even.

    ReplyDelete